Sunday, June 11, 2006

The kayaking bride?

Its been busy. Our wedding is fast approaching. And when I say fast, It’s almost in the 10 day weather channel forecast fast. Wedding planning and all the details have consumed my life, and I can't wait for it to be over. I'm not saying that I don’t enjoy it, I'm just saying I'm planned out.

This weekend Gilday, the jetta, 2 kayaks and I trekked up to Ithaca NY to take part in the festivities of our friend (and groomsman) Ryan. The weather was troublesome at the beginning but managed to pull itself together by 2:00 on the wedding day, leaving blue skies and white fluffy clouds for the ceremony which started at 4:00. The groom was dashing in his Ralph Lauren, and the bride was absolutely stunning in her white strapless wedding dress. I truly hope that I will look that amazing on my wedding day.

The event that was the highlight of our day (well, besides the ceremony thing) was how the bride ended up in a kayak. Earlier that day, Ryan asked if we could bring our kayaks down to lake for some pre-wedding photos with his "guys". He had such a great time that he mentioned it would be cool if he could get Melissa (the bride) into one with her dress. Well, the photographer heard that and immediately was inspired. Somehow he managed to talk her into it, and we found ourselves after the ceremony stuffing her (with dress) into our blue kayak. With some coaxing, a plastic bag, and with me in the water up to my knees (very cold water, by the way) she was on the water and loving it. It was great. We have LOTS of pictures and even video! Oh, did I mention that she had never kayaked before? No mishaps and some great photos!

It was a great weekend to get away from our wedding stresses and concentrate on someone else's. We learned what to do (keep wedding ring in a safe place so we don’t lose it, for maybe, more that 3 hours) and what not to do (leave marriage license in our checkbook, then forget where you put your checkbook, like 3 hours before the wedding). All in all it was a great time.

Congratulations Ryan and Melissa! We'll see you in less than 2 weeks!

No comments: