Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Rejection

Recently I've been looking to expand my career opportunities. I've been on a bunch of interviews, and have even received an offer but nothing has really caught hold of me. Except the latest.

It was for an agency in Norwalk, CT. It was for an Art Director position and I thought it was totally in the bag. The VP of Creative and Creative Director loved me. At the end of my interview with the VP he asked my interest level, which I calmly said "very interested" even though inside I was ready to give them our first born. He then said that the Creative Director would call me very soon with an offer.

A day turned into days, and then days turned into weeks. A reminder/curious call into the recruiter last Thursday lead to a promising "I'll let you know by the end of the day". Which turned out to be a phone call this morning.

What was the call about? Thanks but no thanks. I'm encouraged to re-apply for another position that they will be opening soon. Yeah. Sure. It was a hard blow, since I was on a high for days just from the interview alone. It wasn't meant to be I guess. I just need to shrug it off and move on to bigger and better things. It hurts even more because I thought that this was the bigger and better thing.

Which leads me to this. As much as I like to think I'll be able to get something on my own, I've come to realize that in order to get ahead in this world, it really is who you know. Many a friend/foe as received a job based on that fact alone. I just need to chalk it up and accept it.

Here goes. Anyone know anyone that might be beneficial for me to know?

I feel dirty.

No comments: