Friday, December 15, 2006

Is it wrong to buy yourself gifts at Christmas?

I say this because as I had just finished up some last minute gifts for our Moms, I stumbled across the cutest little wallet. Now, I’m not one who generally splurges on gifts for herself. For the past few years I’ve been rehearsing and practicing an “if you don’t need it-don’t buy it” mantra when I’m out shopping. But it called to me. It whispered sweet nothings about how snug and secure it would hold my important information, money and cards. It mentioned how no one else would think to purchase it for me, and that it would end up, cast aside and alone. It asked me - pleaded, more like it - for rescue amongst the pile of picked-through billfolds and, it was really cute. Then, I looked up and the bin it was marked 50% off!

So, with my resolve worn down from years of repressed accessory purchases, and being wiped from buying so much stuff for everyone else and not myself, I crumbled. The wallet came home, as well as a new purse to put it in. The sheer elation I felt when I walked out of the store with something for myself was amazing.

This leads me to the question stated in the title. What’s wrong with buying yourself a little something during the holidays? Amidst the hustle and bustle of the season, what’s wrong with buying yourself a present that you KNOW you’re going to love? It’s not like I bought myself the iDog, which everyone knows I really want (as silly as it may be) or something off my wish list. Sure, I’m just looking for justification for my purchase because the guilt is sinking in. But, its ok, right?

No comments: