Friday, January 26, 2007

Career in Crime?

This morning I went to walk Finnegan outside in the backyard while Gilday was leaving for work. He was late as usual. Finn and I walked around the backyard, he did his business, we did his morning PT, and we were all set to go back inside. Steve was on his way to work so I'd have the house to myself for a while. Well, I go to open the back door and it wont open. Huh? We have a deadbolt on the back door that we always use, and well...it appeared that it was locked. Gilday must have locked it automatically when he left out of habit.

So here is Finnegan and I (who, by the way, was in my pajamas, no socks and slip on shoes), standing on the patio in complete shock, trying to think of a way back in. Did I mention it was freezing outside? Anyway, I decide to go through the basement. I open the bilco and head down the stairs to the basement door we had installed a few months ago. It's locked. Ok. Not good. I then go over to our front gate and push it a bit and notice that yes, its been master locked. Again, not good. I go to our shed, thinking I can use a shovel or something to break off the lock on the front gate and you guessed it. Master locked as well.

What to do, what to do. The next door neighbor had left for work, and I didn't know how I would get a hold of them anyway. So my only other option was to climb the fence. I used a chair from the patio to help me climb the back of the fence and then used our waste management bin on the other side to help me climb down. It must have looked silly to anyone that passed by, which luckily, I don't think anyone did. I used our lock box (for occasions like this - a must have for everyone) to get the key to the front door and Wammo, I'm inside the nice warm house! I unbolted the backdoor and let Finnegan in who was very happy as well. That's when I noticed that I somehow cut myself in the crazy fence scaling process. After bandaging myself up, my right hand looks like Charlies FATE fingers on
L O S T. I always wanted to be a rock star.

All is well now. I've made it to work and my adrenaline has plateaud. I also realize, I think I might be in the wrong career. I've always been able to find a way into peoples homes (with or without the residents knowledge) in emergencies. Perhaps I should rethink my career goals.

Anyway, I do know that I'll wait to walk Finnegan AFTER Gilday leaves for work from now on.

1 comment:

Paul said...

In this real estate gig of mine, I have to break into our own buildings from time to time. I love playing cat-burgler.