Monday, November 26, 2007

Its happening... again

As we all know, I detest when people shorten my name. I've had a new VP for the past 5 months and over the last couple weeks she has started to let the "a" drop from my name. I've also realized that she's been dropping the "my" off of my coworkers name as well. My research analyst's name is Tammy, and she's now known as "Tam".

What is it with people and the need to make your name shorter than it is to save time. Is that "a" really a time waster? That second syllable is just to hard to say. I know I need to get over it and just deal with it, but every time I hear it, it gets under my skin.

There is another older women at work who insists on calling me "Sheil". I'm under the impression that she thinks it's actually my name because when someone calls me, she looks at me quizzically. Then there is this other (older) guy who thinks my name is "Shell". I'm a sucker for old guys (the whole grandpa dynamic) so I feel terrible correcting him. So, I've made an exception for him. But where does it end?

Please internet gods. Make it stop!

1 comment:

Lisa B. said...

It's similar to being given a nickname by a close friend. I don't feel that kind of familiarity has any place in the business world, but try to take it as a complement.