Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Self Promotion

I need to write a small artist bio for the show I’ll be in this summer for the brochure and website. It’s a tough thing to write about yourself, and it’s even tougher to create a digital identity (which could be a reason I always leave my website at the back of the list of priorities). Anyway, the bio is a bit different than a statement and I think I was getting to technical for this particular show.

I have to say it’s been so great to step back into the painting side of my brain and I’m getting really excited about the project. I’ve had experience on a large sculpture show angle before from working on 2 apples for the Big Apple Fest in NYC, but this time both sculptures will be all my own. Some may recall the classic photo of Gilday getting in touch with his feminine side on the way home from the opening night party. Both of my submissions are up on the website now, but they are just the thumbnail versions. If you’re interested in taking a gander at the other submissions, pop over to the site.

Without further ado, here is my very official new artist bio!

Sheila M. Gilday is a graphic artist, illustrator, painter, and aspiring photographer who finds inspiration in the natural world. She received a BFA from SUNY Albany in Painting & Illustration in 2001 and is working toward an MFA from the Academy of Art in San Francisco with a focus on New Media Design. She has been a member of the Arts Society of Kingston since 1999 and the American Institute for Graphic Arts (AIGA) since 2003. Her artwork is primarily in pencils, abstract acrylics, and digital media. Some of her work is in private collections in New York and California.

She and her husband live under the beautiful Shawangunk ridge in Gardiner, NY and are owned by a pair of large dogs.

I’m not pretentious in the least, eh? I left out the show's I've been in, because, well, one gallery no longer exists and the other shows have really been too long ago. I guess this is what happens when life happens.

No comments: