Thursday, April 28, 2005

Babies

Last night was an interesting one. I had called up one of my friends to see if she wanted to have dinner and maybe do some shopping. She happily agreed. She met me at the house because she wanted to see Finnegan. The last time she saw him, he was 10 weeks old and was about the size of his head now. She was amazed at how big he had gotten (Who isn't). After Finnegan had his fill of the new person and decided that a stick was more interested than us, she starts talking about how one of her friends at work is 4 weeks pregnant. She tells me that she thinks people should just wait until they are in their 2nd to 3rd month before telling people. To be cautious, you know, Like she is. I stand there looking at her in amazement replaying the message over in my head to make sure that I heard her correctly. She smiles and tells me that she is 8 weeks pregnant. I know that kids are part of their master plan so it was a definite good thing. Albeit a little earlier than they planned but still exciting.

I'm not sure about you, but this is the first of my circle of friends to take that step into parenthood. It's shocking to me. I'm just imaging that someone I went to college with, had crazy drunken girl weekends with, who used to "drive fast with microscopic precision", is going to be someone's mother. She has morning sickness. She has to bring saltines with her wherever she goes because if she gets the slightest bit hungry, she gets nauseas. She has to bring a plastic bag with her in case she might have to vomit. Sounds like fun, huh? The one thing she said she been experiencing which has been good, is that her lactose intolerance has disappeared. She can sit and drink 2 glasses of 2% milk, load the cream cheese on a bagel and have no repercussions. I'm truly envious about.

It's a very cool thing and I'm super excited for them. Congratulations!

I feel old. Is it true that people my age are starting to have families already? Yeah, definitely feel old.

No comments: