Monday, October 16, 2006

A love affair

I have a pair of orange Columbia hiking pants that I love. I’m not sure why I love them so much, but they just make me happy when I wear them. Of course, Gilday thinks that I look like a convict when I wear them. He likes to come up with interesting crimes I might have committed when I wear them, which isn’t very often at all.

Gilday & the gang were planning a camping/hiking trip to grab the high point of Massachusetts this weekend, and what better occasion than to let the pants live up to their purpose. They were getting kind of lonely sitting on the top shelf of my closet, looking enviously at all my work and play clothes being used in a happy rotation.

I have to say that they out-performed themselves. The amazing built in moisture guard repelled the snow (yes, it snowed on Saturday night) and the damp conditions of some of the trails we hiked. The bright color even deterred pesky hunters from thinking one of us happy hikers was their next wall trophy. They were great and served me well.

But alas, I come to the end of the story. The pants will now be officially retired. Even with the use of a belt, I was swimming in them. They used to be perfect. But, now they are just silly. This weekend, off to goodwill they will go. Which I know will make Gilday happy (but the Radiohead “scary baby” pablo honey tour shirt is staying).

I hope someone out there will find them on one of the many thrift store racks, and fall in love with them just as much as I did. Good luck, orange pants. Good luck.

No comments: