Monday, October 23, 2006

What's in a name

I absolutely hate it when people decide to shorten my name. Some names are asking for it, like Elizabeth can be Liz, Timothy can be Tim, and Edwin can be Eddie. What constitutes the need for someone to shorten Sheila to Sheil? And when I hear it, it sounds like a cat being run over by a lawnmower or the whine of a lose timing belt when you're starting a car. Why drop the "a"? Is it really necessary?

Just now on my way to get a cup of tea from the lounge on the 2nd floor, I heard it twice. I passed an accountant near the elevator who said, "Hey Sheil" as he passed me. Then, as I was filling up my mug with hot water, one of the loan officers said "What grand adventure did you and your husband take this weekend, Sheil.". (Side note: Apparently some people are mesmerized by us because our weekends don't consist of sitting on our asses watching nascar or the NFL.)

Some people go further with my name. I have another guy (again, an accountant) who will only talk to me in an Aulstralian accent. For almost 2 years, I've had to listen to "G'day Sheila! Grillin some shrimp on the Bar-B this weekend?". It's sad but true. And, I can't help but think that this really does make this guy's day as well. Its annoying, yes, but he has never shortened the name on me.

Anyway... I'm sure that there are worse things I can be called, but just by calling me Sheil, you're guaranteeing its the simplest, most effective way to piss me off.

3 comments:

Paul said...

Shortening Edwin as Eddie isn't any shorter. Not that I care what anybody does with the name Edwin as it is horrible to begin with.

Gilday said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gilday said...

Oh, but the accountant did shorten your name. He dropped some letters off your last name and stuck it before your first name. He's sneaky.