Thursday, October 04, 2007

four eyes

I had my first real ophthalmologist appointment today. I’ve been having a slight issue with my right eye feeling tired lately, and since we have great vision coverage, I went to get it checked out. Why not, right?

I seriously thought that I’d show up, get the testing and the doctor would say “Wow. You have the best eyesight I’ve seen all day. Let me write you a prescription for eye drops for that right eye because it’s a bit dry, but otherwise, you’ve made my day with your amazing vision!”. That was not the case.


One of the good things that came out of the appointment was that I was right. I do have excellent vision. I always assumed I had 20/20 vision because I’ve never had a problem reading the tiny letters at the bottom of the eye chart. Today, I read that little line like a pro. Then, he kicked it up (down) a notch and went smaller. Bam. Check that off the list because I could read that too. After much testing, it is confirmed that this girl’s got 20/15 vision. I was beaming, but not for long.


Now, you may think that because of the 20/15 diagnosis, I must have left there with money in my pocket. You’d be wrong. Turns out me irises aren’t completely level, which causes my right eye to stain more to keep up with the left, being it’s my dominant eye. Great vision or not, there is still an issue. The doctor announces that he is going to write me a script for glasses that I’ll need to wear indoors, when I’m at my computer or reading heavily to relieve the pressure of the right eye’s extra work.


Glasses. Me. Yeah, I was shocked, I’ll admit it. I was then brought over to a nice sales woman who helped me pick out and go over frame choices. The reality set in. These were glasses that I’d have to wear for 2 whole years until I was eligible for new ones again. Talk about a major commitment for something that I had no intention of purchasing or even needing. The stress it puts you under! I ended up with 3 end choices, which fell into 3 distinct categories. Free, not so free and not free in the slightest. I found out the hard way that they don’t tell you the price until you’ve fallen in love.


I know I’m being a big baby. Most of my friends wear glasses and have had to deal with it for most of their lives. But, it’s just so new to me. I never thought I’d need them, or I’d be older before it eventually happened. But, there comes a time when you need to suck it up and deal.

2 comments:

Paul said...

Post a pic. Let's see the new specs!!

Sheila said...

I had to order them. They should be in by the end of the week... Grr...