Monday, November 05, 2007

A day for Design.

I was on fire today at work. I finalized everything from my 08 calendar design, right down to the pre-flighting. I called my printer to see if he could pick it up tomorrow and found out and he was going to be in the neighborhood this afternoon, so I did my final doc prep and it was done! My printer (who is awesome) picked up the disk and the hard copy and with luck, he’ll get me a proof by Thursday. If all goes well, I’ll get to run down on Monday and do a press check for color.


I’m much exited. I was given the role of project manager for this, and it’s the first time that I was allowed to oversee the whole dog and pony show. The Calender that I design every year for my company is actually a community photo contest, and then we use the winners for the 12 months of the calendar. Its a great idea. Usually I'm just the lowly designer of the company that can make pretty banners and advertisements, but since I won those awards, I somehow gained a level of respect and confidence in that i actually know what I'm doing. (Huh. BFA? what is that?). So this year, i oversaw the photo competition, juried the show, chose the winners and designed the piece. I really enjoyed the power of it all.


My company has also started to farm out my design to some of the local charities, which is great because I'm making contacts but not having to run around and schmooze people. I'm currently doing some designs for the Hudson Valley Chapter of JDRF. Right now I'm doing some solicitation brochures, an invitation to a gala and some other odds and ends for the organization. It really makes me feel all warm and fuzzy that I can help out a good cause with my talents.


Yeah. Another good day.


2 comments:

Jennifer said...

YAY for designing! It is fun to do, isn't it. :( It is almost shameful to get paid to do it. Which is probably why I uhm...haven't been charging. LOL

Sheila said...

I love being able to get paid for doing what I love. It's a great feeling to have that sort of satisfaction with your soul.